- 3 c. fresh basil (I used what was on hand: 2 c. basil + 1 c. parsley)
- 1/3 c. + 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c. pine nuts (other nuts work too)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 c. grated parmesan
- zest of one lemon (optional)
- salt and pepper
Add all ingredients (except 2 T. EVOO) to a food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape sides to make sure it’s all incorporated. Stir in the last 2 T. oil.
Pesto will last 5-7 days in refrigerator or freeze for up to 4 months.
*adapted from http://cherishedbliss.com/classic-basil-pesto/
Make it a meal…
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lb. spaghetti (I used whole wheat)
- Sriracha hot sauce to taste
- lemon wedges for serving
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- Mix a good amount of pesto with shrimp and sautee in a skillet until pink, 3-4 minutes. I’d use at least half of the pesto, but it’s however you like it. You can add more later if you want.
- Drain pasta, saving about 1/4 c. to add to your shrimp.
- Toss pasta and reserved water with shrimp and pesto. Add sriracha sauce if you like a bit of spice.
- Serve with lemon wedges.