Okay, honestly, who doesn’t like cream cheese. It’s a love-hate relationship because I know how bad it is for you, but oh it tastes so good! So here are a couple of my favorite apps (…to eat in moderation, kind of 😉 )
Jalapeno Poppers – approx. 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cleaning the peppers: I like to make boats. You leave the stem on and cut a thin slice off the long ways of the pepper. Then use a spoon to scrape out all the seeds and innards. You can save the sliced-off pieces and add to the filling or use for something else, like eggs or hash the next morning 🙂 Rinse peppers and set aside.
- In a bowl mix softened cream cheese, your choice of shredded cheese, feta, onion, and herbs if you choose to use them.
- Stuff peppers with cheese mixture. You can pile it up in those babies too.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes and then I like to broil for a few extra minutes just to brown the cheese a bit.
A variation of this recipe that my husband just loves is with bacon. Basically the same concept, but then wrap a half slice of bacon around the peppers (don’t fill quite as full with cheese) and secure with a toothpick. We find instead of baking these that broiling works better in making the bacon crispy. Keep an eye on them; they’ll take 10-15 minutes. We use a small roasting rack in a baking pan, which holds the peppers upright and the bacon grease drips to the bottom.
Pizza Dip – about 22 servings
Even the black olive haters like my hubby rave about this dip!
- 2 8-oz pkgs cream cheese
- 1 15-oz can pizza sauce
- 1 8-oz pkg mini pepperonis
- 1 3.8-oz pkg chopped black olives
- 2 c. (8oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
- pretzel sticks, tortilla scoops, garlic toast, etc. to serve with
- First off, I make this recipe in one of those super small crockpots that’s perfect for warm appetizers.
- Place cream cheese in crockpot followed by pizza sauce, pepperoni, olives, and cheese. No need to try and stir.
- Cover and cook on low for 1-2 hours until cheese is melted. Now you can stir.
- Serve with chips or whatever you like!
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 16 oz sour cream
- medium jar baby dill pickles, chopped
- 4-5 oz dried beef, chopped
Combine cream cheese and sour cream. Add pickles and dried beef. Serve with crackers! So simple and so yummy! 🙂