This was a total hit with the family last weekend. It’s ooey-gooey cheesy and a bit like a souffle. It’s so indulgent, though, I can only make it when there’s plenty of people to share with!
Mac ‘N’ Cheese – serves 10-15
- 3 c. uncooked cellentani pasta
- 1.5 c. half-and-half
- 6 oz. American cheese slices, chopped
- 6 oz. smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 6 oz. light cream cheese, cubed
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 c. light sour cream
- 6 T. butter, melted
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3-quart baking dish and set aside
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package. Drain and return to saucepan. Stir in half-and-half and all the cheese. Cook on low heat until cheese is mostly melted.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and sour cream until smooth. Melt butter and let cool slightly, then add to eggs and sour cream mixture. Add a pinch of S&P.
- Stir egg mixture into pasta and then spread in baking dish. Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes.
The original recipe adds a panko topping, but I skipped this and it was still fabulous 🙂 If you want, though, while the mac is baking, mix 1 c. panko breadcrumbs with 1 T. melted butter and 1 T. chopped parsley. Sprinkle on top of the mac at about 30 minutes and then put back in oven for 15 minutes.
*adapated from Hy-Vee Seasons, Fall 2014 edition